Thursday, July 16, 2015

Hot Hawaiian Summer

It's funny, I never used to care about the weather.  Back in Omaha, I usually only checked the weather when the sky started turning different shades of green or when I when I was going to try and fit in a round of golf.  One of the most common statements I would hear prior to the big move was "I could never move to Hawaii, I enjoy all four of the seasons" or "Hawaii? Isn't it pretty much the same temperature every day?"  Well I can tell you with a certainty, Hawaii does have "weather" and it can change from day to day just like any other place. The thing is, I don't think you really notice until you've spent some time here because it will affect your routine. Windy and/or Cloudy? Your snorkeling buddies are totally going to cancel your Sunday AM dive.  No wind? Its going to get a bit warmer and there is a good chance you wont see a good sunset for a day or two because of the VOG. Rainy? Hope you have a good book downloaded because finally you have an excuse to stay indoors. Hurricane/Tropical Storm brewing in the vicinity?  Time to put on some body armor and brave the crowds at Safeway and Costco. See? Weather...

Well we just happened to have a Tropical Storm in the area last week which affects wind on the island.  I was initially worried we could get rain, but the storm shifted northeast and suddenly we were in for a hot, HOT weekend.  Add to that the fact that we have guests in town, staying in the condo would just end in some sort of  luchador-style cage match. If only I had some sort of frozen confection to keep everyone cool....

I was honestly worried about how I would fit an AD reference in this week

  That being said, there is really only one thing to do. Stay inside and run the AC?  At $0.35/ kwh that is just not an option.  So we headed west. Since rain was no longer an issue, I figured we would take our guests west to Lahaina. Funny story, Lahaina was originally named Lele, which apparently means "Relentless Sun" making it a questionable choice for a day trip on a particularly sunny day. Nonetheless, we ended up at one of my favorite spots to snorkel: Kapalua Bay. I'm assuming a short post followed by some pictures would  be sufficient. Enjoy! Photo Credits: My sis-in-law
Kapalua Bay


humuhumunukunukuapua'a





Everyone crowding around a Sea Turtle that came close to the shore

No comments:

Post a Comment