Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Five ....Err... Eight Year Plan

An event five eight years in the making
According to my old blog "Psychotic Infarction", 9/30/2011 was the date that I had set for my family and I to move to Hawaii - a five year plan. I'll wait while you double check today's date. Yeah... I'm a bit late. In fact we didn't even return to Hawaii until almost two years after that date. Now I know several of you are frantically searching for what is sure to be an embarrassing snapshot of my life back in 2006.  Let me save you the trouble. It had one post and 95 views and a total of 5 comments. Two comments from friends and 3 from anonymous strangers trying convincing me that I was an idiot for even dreaming of moving to Hawaii. I learned several things after that. 1) Life is hard (Duh?). When I set that date, my wife had recently become a stay at home mom.  It didn’t take long before I realized the true cost of that worthwhile investment. Supporting a family on one income tends to change your perspective on a lot of things. 2) Turns out you can't just declare you are going to do something, not follow through, and expect results. Crazy right? 3) There is no shortage of haters. People who literally hate your dreams and aspirations. Especially when it comes to moving to Hawaii (or leaving Nebraska as I've recently found). You have the "Good Lifers" as I like to call them. The people born and raised in Nebraska home of "The Good Life" and insist that you'll never be able to make it anywhere else. I may be exaggerating slightly. Obviously there are many benefits to raising a family in Nebraska. You also have the "Paradise Fear Mongers". A group of people so bent on keeping newcomers out of Hawaii that they literally troll forums (it was 2006 remember forums?) and blog posts looking for people expressing a desire to move to Hawaii and then beating them over the head with tales of over-priced milk , killer geckos and meth’d out Haole Hunters.  

Admittedly, I got a little discouraged. The naysayers had some very good points as it turns out. I wasn't remotely prepared for a relocation to Hawaii. Not only was it expensive, but there was (is) a severe shortage of jobs that pay a living wage.  Remember A Beautiful Mind? Well that was me, crunching numbers for days on end trying to figure out a way to make it work. One night, I had a realization. I cracked the code. I only had to move the cheapest part of the island where access to necessities is limited and the threat of volcanic activity was very real oh and work 2 full time jobs with an average of 4 hours of sleep a night. It didn’t take long for me to realize that it just wasn’t going to happen.  So that dream was put on a shelf. You know the shelf in your house where things go to die? A once-treasured gift loses its luster and is put up high to only be occasionally acknowledged with awkward side glances.  Eventually the guilt gets to you. So you push it back even further on the shelf or get rid of it. For a while my mental shelf worked. I got so busy taking care of my family that I really never had time to think about my failed dream. 9/30/2011 didn't even register on the radar. How could it? Between working two jobs, learning Chinese and keeping a toddler from consuming everyday household cleaning products I was tapped out.

So how did I go from not even considering a relocation to literally counting down the days? To be honest I don't really know. It’s as if my subconscious kept at it always looking for the formula that would crack the code. A couple of years ago I was fed up with my job. I had a horrible supervisor who didn't understand how to manage a technical resource and I just couldn't take it anymore. I came home one day with a box of my stuff from work and told my wife, "If I don't get a new job in two weeks, we are moving to Phoenix." Sure enough I found a great job about a week later. It would seem I was not being allowed to leave Omaha. In fact some friends and family even suggested that this was a clear indicator that I was stuck here. A year later some things started clicking into place. Here I was with a job that I enjoyed, a job that challenged me and not to mention had an okay salary. My wife went back to work and I quit my second job, all of the sudden I could think clearly. After years of neglect it was time to dust off that little mental shelf. What did I find? It wasn't broken, it wasn't lost. My old dream of living in Hawaii was right there waiting for me to just ask the right questions. I didn’t even realize what I was doing at the time. In passing I’d ask my manager questions like “What’s our policy on working from home…occasionally?” A little more time would pass and here I am asking more questions. “Have we ever had a remote employee? What if I were to live in another state?” “What if that state is say…. and I’m just pulling one off the top of my head… Hawaii?" Boom. That was it.  Management considered it, and then with a little more time they considered it some more. Finally they agreed to it. Forgetting moving back to Phoenix, just like that my dream of moving to Hawaii became very real.

So why are you here? The purpose of this blog is document my family's journey to Hawaii. I haven't written in years so I apologize in advance as I will be a little rusty. If you are like me you are tired of reading blogs that don't relate to you in the slightest. I've read blogs where people detail their struggles in moving. By struggles I mean deciding which of their three mainland homes they are keeping and which are they selling to purchase their new home in Hawaii. Or smart people who have been saving for a decade and have a year’s salary sitting in the bank allowing them to spend the first 6 months on the island reading books on the beach. Not to take anything away from their accomplishment, they made a decision and followed through with it. Congrats. No this blog is for people that despite all of the things working against them refuse to give up on their dream. There is also a good chance that my situation wont relate to yours either. After all, not many people can simply decide that they want to be a remote employee 5,000 miles away from your home office. If that doesn’t do it for you, then just come for my perspective on working remotely, java development, learning Mandarin and other assorted geekery. I’ll even have guest posts from Hope and Gavin just to keep things interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment